Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for July, 2010

This week I got around to making a pair of mittens on my Gearhart/Dundas circular sock machine.  This is the machine that has the cylinder travel around instead of the yarn carrier traveling around the cylinder.  I really like this machine, it has taken a year for it to really start knitting well, it requires quite a bit of oil to keep it knitting smoothly.  The yarn I used was my handspun, blue is columbia and the white is icelandic.

I made up the pattern as I went since they are for my BIL  and he lives 2000 miles away it isn’t very easy to get a fit as I was working on them. My sister can let me know how they fit and then I can modify the pattern as needed.

Started with setting up the needles with the set-up basket and using waste yarn.                                                                                                                       

56 needle cylinder blue

3×1 mock rib for 12 rounds, changed to full knit and knit 30 rounds.

Set-up needles for the thumb- took all but 24 needles out of work.

Starting at the start mark on the cylinder and counted 19 to the right, then 5 to the left of the mark for a total of 24 needles for the left mitten.  For the right mitten count 19 needle to the left of starting mark and 5 needles to the right. 

Placed the weight holder inside the cylinder to keep the needles knitting without dropping.  Knit 40 rows to get the length that I wanted.

After the rows were done it was time to take the thumb off of the needles.

After the stitches were off, I hung 12 side stitches from each side of the thumb and rehung the weights to hold the stitches down, placed the rest of the needles back into  working position and continued to knit until it was time to end and knit the fingers. Setting up as you would for a heal, then knit decreasing one on each side until there were 12 needles left, six on each side of the start mark. Then cont. knitting until all the needles were back back into action and worked off on waste yarn and sewed up the fingers using the Kitchner stitch.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »